Sniffing tools are extremely common applications. A few interesting ones are listed here:
- Wireshark One of the most widely known and used packet sniffers. Offers a tremendous number of features designed to assist in the dissection and analysis of traffic.
- Tcpdump A well-known command-line packet analyzer. Provides the ability to intercept and observe TCP/IP and other packets during transmission over the network.
- WinDump A Windows port of the popular Linux packet sniffer tcpdump, which is a command-line tool that is great for displaying header information.
- OmniPeek Manufactured by WildPackets, OmniPeek is a commercial product that is the evolution of the product EtherPeek.
- Dsniff A suite of tools designed to perform sniffing with different protocols with the intent of intercepting and revealing passwords. Dsniff is designed for Unix and Linux platforms and does not have a complete equivalent on the Windows platform.
- EtherApe A Linux/Unix tool designed to graphically display a system’s incoming and outgoing connections.
- MSN Sniffer A sniffing utility specifically designed for sniffing traffic generated by the MSN Messenger application.
- NetWitness NextGen Includes a hardware-based sniffer, along with other features, designed to monitor and analyze all traffic on a network; a popular tool in use by the FBI and other law enforcement agencies.