Meaning of Program Algorithm
A program algorithm is the step by step description of the program. It is a designing tool that explains how a program can be developed or how a problem can be solved by using steps of instructions. It consists of stepwise list of instructions. The designer writes using simple English and mathematical statement.
Example: [find the square of inputted number.]
Step 1: START
Step 2: Input a number N
Step 3: Calculate Square=N*N
Step 4: Display Square
Step 5: END
Explain aims of program design and building blocks of a structured programming
Aims of Program Design
- The major aims of program or system Design are:
- Explain how the system should be developed.
- Identification of reports and outputs of new system.
- Sketch the input screen and layout of menus options.
- Identification of individual data items, database and calculation procedures.
Building Blocks of a structured programming
The building blocks of a structured programming are the control structure. These are sequence, selection, and iteration.
- A sequence is simply a series of procedures that follow one another serially. It does not contain any conditional or looping statements.
- The selection or conditional contains at least a condition and the execution depends on the condition. Different set of statements will be executed depending on the condition.
- Iteration or looping is an operation that repeats the execution of statement until a certain condition is satisfied.