Graphical user interfaces (GUI)
A GUI (Graphic User Interface) is a graphical representation in which the users can interact with software or devices through graphical icons. GUI is the most common type of user interface in use today.
- In GUI more than one task can run simultaneously
- It is a very user friendly interface
- Most modern computer use GUI
- This is an interface that makes use of graphics, images, and icons etc.
- This interface made it possible for a mouse.
- GUI is much easier to CUI.
- Example: windows, Linux, MAC OS
What are the types of GUI?
There are five main types of user interface:
- command line (cli)
- graphical user interface (GUI)
- menu driven (mdi)
- form based (fbi)
- natural language (nli)
ROLE of (Graphical User Interface) GUI
Graphical User Interface is a way for humans to interact with computers. It allows the use of icons or other visual indicators to interact with electronic devices. GUI uses windows, icons and menus to carry out commands such as opening, deleting, and moving files.
what are the advantages and disadvantages of graphical user interfaces
Advantages of graphic user interface are:
- It is easy to explore and find your way around the system using a GUI interface
- You do not have to learn complicated commands.
- It is based on graphical representation
- Users do not need to know any programming languages.
- It is also known as multi user operating system.
Disadvantages of graphic user interface are:
- GUI take up a much larger amount of hard disk space than other interfaces.
- They use more processing power than other types of interface.
- They need significantly more memory (RAM) to run than other interface types.
- They let you exchange data between different software applications.