Command-line user interface, CUI is a way for users to interact with computer programs. It works by allowing the user Client to issue commands as one or more lines of text (referred to as command line) to a program. Good examples CUIs are Ms-Dos the windows command prompt. One of the CUI’s uses is that it provides an easy way to implement programming script.
Other examples of command lines
There are other command lines in addition to the ones mentioned above, namely, terminal and the linux command line.
CLI advantages and disadvantages
The advantages of a command line interface are:
- granular control of an OS or application;
- faster management of a large number of operating systems;
- ability to store scripts to automate regular tasks; and
- basic command line interface knowledge to help with troubleshooting, such as network connection issues.
The disadvantages of a command line interface are:
- GUI is more user-friendly;
- steeper learning curve associated with memorizing commands and complex syntax/arguments; and
- different commands used in different shells.
CLI VS GUI
- CUI is the assistance you get from the keyboard to interact with the computer. The only thing you can do is to write commands on MS DOS and there are no images and graphics on the screen. That was the initial appearance of the computers back in the eighties. Modern versions of CUI are also apparent to newest models that have a specially created version of CUI the CLI (Command Line Interface)
- GUI is the common characteristic of modern computers. It is the actual interface that gives graphics and images on your screen when you are pressing the mouse buttons. It is the compiler between your hand and the computer so that you are not obliged to write commands.
CUI Vs. GUI
|Is an interface that is commonly used to get connected to the computer?||Is another interface that needs command prompts to connect to computer.|
|A lot easier for navigation and use.||Hard to use and navigate.|
|It is the modern type of connection with graphics and images where the mouse can be used.||It is the older type of connection that there is the need to type the commands on the keyboard.|
|It is used by the newest computer models.||It is used by older computer models.|
|Windows is a great sample.||MS DOS is a characteristic sample.|
|You can see graphics and other images when you need to give a special demand on the computer.||You only see the command prompt and you have to memorize the commands all the time.|